Thursday, July 7, 2011

Opus 446 - I'm now the proud owner of...

A wheat grinder!* As you might remember from this post, Lissa needs to be eating more dietary fiber. We have found that getting more wheat into her diet is the easiest way. So I have been learning to cook with wheat. So far, I've mastered waffles, biscuits, and rolls. I'm still working on the whole wheat bread (I'm using my Mom's recipe, but it takes some time to adjust it for altitude), so we've been buy whole wheat bread, hot dog/hamburger buns, and bagels. I also cook with the "special" pasta that has more dietary fiber.

My favorite of all the recipes I've added whole wheat to is cinnamon rolls. My mom has a very yummy recipe that I love. We have a tradition of eating those cinnamon rolls every Sunday morning (that was the tradition in the Camacho house growing up). I didn't want to lose the tradition since the kids love it, so I started making it with 1/3 whole wheat. We love it! I'm so happy it turned out so good. Once I accidentally made the cinnamon rolls without the whole wheat and I didn't think they tasted as good. I guess we've gotten really used to whole wheat around here.

It's sure helped Lissa!

*It's actually one that attaches to my Bosch.

2 comments:

  1. I totally love my wheat grinder, too. Although there are still a few things I use white flour in, I prefer the taste of whole wheat. :) AND it's so much cheaper than buying whole wheat flour (and slightly cheaper than buying white flour) to grind your own. I have a fabulous recipe for whole wheat banana bread if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to get your banana bread recipe - I don't have one yet so that would be great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Lissa Smith Look-alike Meter

Joshua Smith Look-alike Meter