Monday, October 12, 2009

Opus 243 - Reality

Sometimes things happen in life that remind you of what is really important. On Saturday night a friend and colleague of mine was killed as she saved the lives of her students. She was an amazing person, not only because of her final act on this earth, but because that is who she was. She cared so much for her students and always gave everything to them. She will always be remembered as a hero.

It was such a shock to learn of her death. Band directors aren't supposed to die on the job. Shock is the only word I can think of to describe how I currently feel.

I have an over-night trip planned with my students in a few weeks and I won't deny that there is a part of me that is a little freaked out. The logical side of my brain knows that this was a freak accident, so I really shouldn't worry. But the emotional side of my brain is freaked out. I just need to work this out so I can have an enjoyable trip and not be freaked out everytime we ride the bus.

Please pray for her family, the students at the high school, all her knew her, the Utah band community, and for the director of the band. The students are looking to him for support and guidance, please pray for him to have the strength he needs to help these kids.

If you're reading this soon enough, please wear red and black (school colors) Tuesday in her honor. Even if you live far away. Then you can tell people that you're wearing red and black in honor of a true American hero.

If you live in Utah, the band is performing in a competition at 9:40 p.m. at BYU's LaVell Edward's stadium. Tickets for the competition (which runs from 3:55 p.m. to about 10:00 p.m.) are $5/individual and $20/family (immediate family only). If you can, please come support them as they special tribute to their hero.

1 comment:

  1. I saw that in the news and immediately thought of you. It's so hard when a tragedy touches close to home. Through all the bad though is the ultimate knowledge of knowing she was a hero to those kids and their families.

    ReplyDelete

Lissa Smith Look-alike Meter

Joshua Smith Look-alike Meter