Let me start this post by saying that I'm incredibly grateful for my job. It's a good job; the kids are good; the school is good; the colleagues are good. This job has made it so that we can afford to pay for things like food, housing, heat... you know, the minor things in life. I am grateful for that.
I just wish there weren't so many darn evening events. It makes it really hard to find people to watch the kids. Although we're making ends meet - that's all we're making and we just can't afford to hire a babysitter or have the nanny stay later when I have school things at night. Let me tell you, one of the worst feelings you can have is knowing that you absolutely have to be someplace, but you have no idea who is going to watch your kids and you keep trying and trying to find someone, but you just can't and time is running out. If you've never had that feeling, be grateful, because it's miserable. I know there are people who would happily let me drop the kids off at their house, but when I don't get home until 10:00 p.m., that just won't work. My kids would never make it until 10:00 and that'd make EVERYONE miserable. I can't do that do my kids. But I can't take them to a football game either. It's not professional, it'd be a nightmare trying to keep track of them while trying to deal with the band, and there'd be so many germs! I've already had students with the swine flu, I'm not giving it to my kids.
Seriously, the not-so-smart person who planned a high school football game on a Thursday night should be fired. Really. What was he thinking??? (You know it was a man who did that!)
Oh Emily, I'm sorry! I've totally been there before, and you are right, it is no FUN! It is downright stressful. I'm sorry. Will it get any better after football season? Wish I could help!
ReplyDeleteEmily- This is Melissa P. I TOTALLY understand the stress of "who's going to watch my kids"- we've been there SO many times when our babysitter was sick or one of them was sick or whatever.
ReplyDeleteWe'd be happy to watch the kiddos at our place anytime (for free, of course)! Lily and Wren would love to play with them and one of us could take them back to your house for bedtime and hang out until you get back. Seriously- just give us a call!
Thanks so much Melissa! Could you watch them tomorrow (Thursday) at 5:15?
ReplyDeleteDon't forget us either!! If it is a night when Jeff and I are home I con totally go put your kiddos to bed and leave mine back with Jeff. It might even be like a little vacation for me. Let me know when you need me! :)
ReplyDeleteOh I soooo feel your pain! I have been in many pickles as a single working mom. Especially when I was going to grad school.
ReplyDeleteTry again.
ReplyDeletePick me! Pick me! I'm a good babysitter. The kids like me. I'm their favorite aunt after all. Pick me! Pick me!