Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Opus 232 - Lost Lissa

On Sunday I had one of the scariest moments since Lissa and Joshua's birth. That's saying a lot considering the circumstances surround their birth...

Let me preface this story by telling you that the nursery classroom that Lissa and Joshua go to at church has two doors. The leaders leave both doors wide open (without an adult supervising the open doorways) at the beginning and end of class as parents are picking up and dropping off their kids. When we dropped the kids off the first week I noticed this and thought, "Isn't a kid just going to walk out??" Before the kids were old enough for nursery I also, several times, saw a leader leave the room to do something and leave the door wide open. Hmmmm, not very secure in my mind.

On Sunday we dropped the kids off at nursery - they went in happily and began playing. When we came back to pick them up Lissa wasn't there! I asked the leaders, "Where's Lissa?" All I got was blank stares and the reply, "huh?" WHERE'S LISSA???????????????? They had no clue. Jason and I immediately began searching the building and I started asking everyone I saw to look for her. After the longest few minutes of my life, we found her in another nursery room. She had apparently followed another little girl who was going to her parents (they work in the other nursery room) and nobody saw them leave.

I have issues with this. It's very scary to me that the room is so insecure. It's so sad because I was so excited to have them go into nursery and now this happens. I trusted them to watch my babies and take care of them and now that trust is gone. Honestly, I don't know what I'm going to do this coming Sunday. We called the Primary President and she was upset about what happened and said things will be taken care of. She's a wonderful woman and I know that when she says it'll be taken care of, she'll do everything in her power to take care of it. But the same time, I'm very gun shy now. To be frank, I'm scared to death. I had the hardest time falling asleep Sunday night because all of the "what if's" kept running through my mind. If those doors are wide open again on Sunday...

5 comments:

  1. That is scary! We are so careful about watching kids in church. When Primary is out we have them stay in the Primary room until the parents come. I'm sure now they will be better about keeping the doors closed and watching the kids - I would hope so, anyway. So glad it turned out okay in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ironic part is that the week before this happened the Primary Presidency talked to Priesthood and Relief Society about how they would no longer let children leave class until they had been picked up by a parent (not a sibling). Jason and I talked about it afterward and agreed that it wasn't really an issue for us since nursery kids would never be allowed to leave without a parent. Famous last words :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also had issues with our nursery when Joey was in it and it was seriously scary. His sister took him to nursery and I went back to check on him 15 minutes later and NO ADULT was in the room. Keep in mind that we have a very small building and the door was next to the Primary piano where the presidency was standing. Oh, and this was before Joey's seizures were under control. I was livid and marched right up to the Bishopric counselor. The Primary Pres told me that they had "other things to think about." I was called to be the nursery leader a few weeks later.

    Seriously, I wish nursery leaders and presidencies had some sort of training on safety issues, even though most of it should be common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my ward we have a kid gate at the door and the other door NEVER opens. Parents come and drop their kid off over the gate and pick them up over it too. They set it up so that it is on the outside of the door jamb so that the door can still close during class. Just an idea. :o) Good luck. Losing your child is a very scary thing. Even if it's only for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though he's 2 and plenty old to be in nursery, I rarely put Nick in. Mostly because of his disability. Not because he can't keep up with the other kids, but because the teacher just doesn't want to deal with him. There is always something they complain about whenever we leave him there so I just stopped taking him. I'm sorry you were let down. It seems crazy that they need both doors open. If they need a door open, they should just leave one, not both.

    ReplyDelete

Lissa Smith Look-alike Meter

Joshua Smith Look-alike Meter