Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Opus 49 - My Mother's Arms

We all know that children are a juxtaposition of their parents' features and behaviorisms. It's always interesting to see how much we are like our parents as we get older. I've always considered myself a good mix of both of my parents.

In many ways, I'm my father's daughter - I like to put things together, fix things, organize things, be on time (early!), sing his silly songs, and tell his silly jokes :) For example, yesterday I installed a new shower head and I'm currently working on installing the gates at the top and bottom of the stairs (gotta be ready for those twins - they're gonna be crawling before I know it!).

I've always known that I'm also very much my mother's daughter. My grandma once told my mother, "I hope you have a child just like you!" Apparently, my mom wasn't the easiest child to raise. Soon enough, I came along to fulfill my grandma's wishes. Rumor has it that I wasn't the easiest baby/child. Although, in defense of the difficult baby thing, I've recently figured out that I was colicky (yes, Mom, breastfed babies can be colicky).

I'm also like my mother in many other ways - I enjoy cooking and consider myself a fairly good cook, I'm a teacher and am passionate about that profession, I have been known to misplace my white erase markers at school (I'd then tell my students that I was becoming more and more like my mother, laughter would ensue, and I'd warn them that it will happen to them someday too!), fortunately no keys have been lost... although I do remember finding my cell phone in the refrigerator once!

I've been told that I look a lot like Mom too. The other day Aunt Lissa and I were feeding the babies when I looked at my arms and realized that they look exactly like my mother's. My hands do too. I commented on this to Lissa and she agrees. It's strange looking at my arms and seeing my Mom's. It's not a bad thing, just kind of weird :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lissa Smith Look-alike Meter

Joshua Smith Look-alike Meter