Monday, September 29, 2008

Opus 53 - A Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Yesterday was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. I seriously considered moving to Australia. Actually, the entire day wasn't terrible...

It all started in the morning when Lissa and Joshua would not take their morning nap. They weren't crying or yelling, they were just laying in their cribs "chatting" with each other. There is always a day or two when they do this, but why do they always struggle to take their morning nap on Sunday? When they don't nap well in the morning it makes Church sooooo difficult because they're so exhausted. And, as I've mentioned before, my children do not fall asleep in my arms (or anyone's arms for that matter).

Despite their lack of morning nap, we still packed them up and headed for Church (1 p.m.). It started out okay, but then they both got a little fussy so Jason and I ended up in the lobby. I was holding Lissa and managed to get her to sleep so I went back into the Chapel. Joshua had other plans. He screamed for about 15 minutes with poor Jason trying to calm him down. After Sacrament meeting I offered to take Joshua during Sunday School to give Jason a break.

This is where the day became a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Joshua screamed the ENTIRE hour. I'm not kidding. He screamed so loud that the scream was echoing outside. (When the babies scream, we usually take them outside of the building so the screaming doesn't echo through the halls.) It was horrible!!!! To make matters worse, at least a dozen people walked out of the church, looked at me, and hurried away. Not one, I repeat, not one person asked if I needed help. I just needed to get a message to Jason to ask him to come out so we could go home. But my cell phone was in the diaper bag with Jason (who decided that women don't need pockets??) and I couldn't go inside with Joshua screaming so loud. Nobody got near me so I wasn't even able to ASK for help. Needless to say, I was very frustrated. I was also very sad that I couldn't seem to calm my poor baby. He was so exhausted and just wanted to sleep and I couldn't help him. I see so many babies calm right down when their mom puts them on her shoulder; why can't I help my babies that way??

Jason came out after Sunday School and we went home. We put the babies to bed immediately. They were so exhausted that they fell asleep instantly. Poor kiddos. I then got my crying out. I was just so frustrated and sad.

Don't worry, this story is about to get much better.

As I was getting my frustrations out over a bowl of ice cream and a game of Guitar Hero (more on that later), we heard a knock on the door. It was our friend Wendy from our Ward - she brought us brownies! Wendy has two year old twin girls and is wonderful to talk to about the twin thing - she can really understand what it's like and offers the greatest advice and comfort. I told her about my day and she told me that her girls were the same way (unable to fall asleep in her arms). We talked awhile longer about the babies and how things are going. By the time she left I felt so much better. The Lord knew I needed someone to talk to who really understands what I'm going through and Wendy is incredible enough to be listening to the Spirit and came over. I'm so grateful for my Heavenly Father for giving Wendy the inspiration to come over and I'm so grateful to Wendy for listening to the Spirit!

I'm no longer considering a move to Australia.

3 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for that! We three would miss you terribly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1pm church is the worst time ever for babies and toddlers. We meet at 1pm too and can't wait for our schedule to change next year. You're nicer than me, I would have walked into church and pulled Jason out to leave despite the screaming baby in my arms! Thank goodness it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of my all time favorite children's books. Especially when it is one of those days. I'm glad things got better- and I'm sorry I didn't see you that day. I would have helped!

    ReplyDelete

Lissa Smith Look-alike Meter

Joshua Smith Look-alike Meter