Thursday, September 25, 2008

Opus 51 - Yummy Recipes

I found a couple of great recipes so I thought I'd share:

Low Fat Chicken Burrito Filling

4 servings

2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 can tomato sauce
1/4 cup salsa
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
hot sauce to taste

Place chicken breasts and tomato sauce in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, then add salsa, seasoning [I made my own and put in about 3 teaspoons], cumin, garlic [I used garlic powder], and chili powder. Let simmer for 15 minutes.

With a fork, start pulling the chicken meat apart into thin strings. Keep cooking pulled chicken meat and sauce, covered, for another 5 to 10 minutes. Add hot sauce to taste and stir together.

[We didn't use the hot sauce - we used the hot Taco Bell sauce for the salsa and smothered our burritos with medium enchilada sauce. That seemed to add enough kick. Next time I'm going to double or triple the recipe and freeze a lot. BTW, this made more than 4 servings. I'd say it's closer to 6ish.]


Chipotle's Basmati Rice

1 teaspoon vegetable oil or butter
2 teaspoons fresh cilantro
2/3 cup white basmati rice [I used regular white rice]
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 lime

In a two quart heavy sauce pan, heat oil or butter over low heat, stirring occasionally until melted. Add rice and lime juice, stir for one minute. Add water and salt, bring to a full rolling boil. At boiling, cover, turn down to simmer over low heat until rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork. [The recipe doesn't say when to add the cilantro, I added it after the rice was completely cooked. This made about 4 servings.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lissa Smith Look-alike Meter

Joshua Smith Look-alike Meter