Friday, January 16, 2009

Opus 106 - Just Gotta Get It Out

I've just got to vent for a very short moment...

I have had a horrible time dealing with the home health care company (Intermountain Home Healthcare) that supplied Lissa and Joshua's oxygen and monitors. The kids are almost a year old and things still aren't settled! I keep getting these threatening bills from them saying if I don't pay, they'll send my info to a bill collector. The first thing you should know is that I know we don't owe them a penny - we met our yearly maximum through both insurances (mine from when I was teaching that covered us through August and Jason's that we obviously still have) REALLY early in the year due to the kids' stay in the NICU. So each time I get one of these bills I call the home health care place to ask them what is going on. After much discussion I've heard things like, "Oh, it looks like we never sent the insurance this bill... we'll do that." or, "Oh, I guess we sent the bill to the insurance with the wrong code... we'll fix that."* Mind you, this has happened MANY, MANY, MANY times. Why can't they get this straight? What is their problem? I'll tell you what I think...

I think they're hoping I'll freak out when I get those menacing bills and pay them right away, not bothering to look into things. Because I think they would get more money if I paid, rather than the insurance companies. I was talking to one of the insurance companies and the guy said that the home health care company had double billed quite a few items so they (the insurance) only paid for those things once but now they (home health care) were trying to get me to pay for the second billing of the same items that they had already received money for! Isn't this borderline illegal? Or at least unethical and dishonest? Or very poor record keeping??

The bottom line is, I'm sick of this company. If you ever had to receive home healthcare and are given a choice, do not, I repeat, DO NOT choose Intermountain Healthcare! I'll admit their service was spectacular, but it's NOT worth the hassle I have had to deal with the past year!

Phew. I feel much better now that I've got that out :)

*One time I asked the guy at intermountain healthcare to send me a copy of all transactions and correspondence with the insurance companies so I could figure out what was going on. He agreed, but then called back a little while later to say that after reviewing things it looked like everything really was okay with that account and we owed nothing. Does that sound a little suspicious to anyone else??

1 comment:

  1. how frustrating. i have both positive and negative comments regarding intermountain healthcare...especially since they became intermountain healthcare (IH) rather than intermountain health care (IHC). i'm sorry.

    we had a similar thing happen when ella had her open heart surgery. we had met our out of pocket maximum earlier in the year so the surgery and hospital stay were free. but then we got a huge bill for a doctor we'd never heard of. it turned out (after a number of phone calls) that a doctor from another hospital that was out of the network assisted with the surgery...i think as one of the anesthesiologists, if I remember right. anyway, they wanted to charge us for his portion of the bill and it was quite high. we fought it since we didn't select him and the surgeon, cardiologist, hospital, nurses, etc. were all within the network. They finally ended up waving it and we didn't have to pay. but it was a royal pain and took months to get settled. argh! i hope you get it all settled soon.

    ReplyDelete

Lissa Smith Look-alike Meter

Joshua Smith Look-alike Meter