Saturday, January 24, 2009

Opus 113 - Little Bit of Reality

I'm always paying attention to what Lissa and Joshua can and can't do and how they stack up to what is considered "normal." Maybe it's because of the stuff they gave us when we were leaving the NICU that taught us what we should be doing to help our kids get caught up, but I'm guessing a lot of moms are this way. Of course I realize that all kids develop at different paces so it's hard to say if a kid is normal or not. But I'm always wondering how my kids are doing at catching up. It seems that every time I start to think one or both of them have just about caught up, I'm hit with some reality.

Yesterday it came in the form of one of those emails... "Now that your child is 11 months, he/she is probably doing:" As I read down the list I realized that neither of my kids were doing a single thing on the list. Joshua is a lot closer to doing the things, but Lissa isn't even close. Oh well. I just have to remind myself that they're technically 9 months old, every kid is different, and I need keep working to teach them what they need to learn.

As a totally random, pulled out of the sky, side note: Last week during Sunday School Joshua was standing next to another little boy (well, I was helping Joshua stand). I noticed that Joshua was about the same height and probably a little taller than this boy. When I asked his parents how old he was I was told that he's 15 months old. Now this kids parents are not short by any means, so I'm guessing this kid is probably pretty average in height. Just another reminder that my "little" Joshua is tall!

2 comments:

  1. Every thing will be okay and work out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything will be okay.

    But I also think it is completely normal to compare your kids to others. None of my girls were premature, but Michelle was tiny. She was 7 pounds 15 ounces when she was born, but she gained weight so slowly (and for a long time was not even on the growth chart in weight). I compared what she ate to what others did and worried. She met developmental milestones just fine, but I worried a lot about her size. Since then, I've realized she's just going to be petite. (That's not a bad thing!) Even now, it's easy to compare my kids to other kids. Just try not to let it worry you.

    ReplyDelete

Lissa Smith Look-alike Meter

Joshua Smith Look-alike Meter