Monday, June 1, 2009

Opus 176 - 15 Month Appointment



Lissa and Joshua had their 15 month appointment today. The doctor gave them a clean bill of health; yeah! Both kids are doing well developmentally - they're still a couple of months behind in some things, but that's to be expected. Besides, kids do things at such varying rates that a couple of months isn't a big deal. Here are their stats:

Lissa - 21 lbs 8 oz (25th percentile), 29 1/2 inches tall (30th)
Joshua - 25 lbs 6 oz (70th percentile), 32 inches tall (75th)

Joshua is so much bigger than his sister. It's crazy. Although, I must say that their size difference still isn't big enough for people to be thinking they're not twins. Seriously, think about it people, do they really look 9 months (or more) apart?? I can't tell you how many times in the last few months I've been asked how far apart they. Ummm, one minute... "Oh, they're twins!" Not to get off the subject, but my next favorite question I get is, "Are they identical?" (this is after we've discussed that they're a boy and a girl). Um, it's genetically impossible for them to be identical.

Anyway, moving on to how the kiddos are doing... Joshua is walking fool. He can get up and down all he wants, turn around, pick up and carry toys. I think it's safe to say he's got it down. Lissa is getting there and will be walking like crazy in no time.

They say Dada and Mama, but honestly, sometimes it's hard to know if they're really trying to call to us or if they're just saying it. Even though they don't say much, they have become great at communicating with their signs. They use the following regularly: eat, sleep, more, milk, play. They comprehend quite a big of what we say. We can ask them to get something and they will. We have had to resort to spelling many things: rolls, bread, peaches, jello... all of the things they have to eat at the end of dinner or else they won't eat anything else :) Since they're understanding us and communicating with signs, I'm not too worried that they're not saying other words yet. Every kid talks when they're ready. Besides, I've heard that sometimes twins will start to talk later since they don't feel the need to communicate (because they can talk to each other just fine).

They still nap twice a day and sleep 11-12 hours a night. Can't complain there :)

Our next big goal is to ditch the bottles. We're going cold turkey as of today. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Lissa Smith Look-alike Meter

Joshua Smith Look-alike Meter