Friday, June 26, 2009

Opus 200 - Thoughts on an American Icon

I'll admit I was absolutely shocked when I heard the news yesterday. I knew he wasn't always in the best of health; he didn't exactly take good care of his body (so many surgeries!). But he was so young. He was planning a comeback tour. I just wasn't expecting it so it blew me away when I learned that Michael Jackson had died.

Since his death there have been many status updates on Facebook concerning Michael Jackson (I just can't get myself to call him MJ - that's Michael Jordan). Some people have expressed shock and sadness, some have expressed outrage at all of the attention surrounding his death. As already mentioned, I was shocked. Sad... not really. Outraged at the media attention? No. Michael Jackson was a huge celebrity, an American Icon, that's just what happens when someone so immensely popular dies.

I won't deny it - I really enjoy listening to Michael's music. He was an amazing singer. I enjoy everything from his Jackson 5 days to the great 80's stuff to his more recent stuff. I don't think it can be denied that he could sing and really put on a show.

Of course, he wasn't exactly "normal." Frankly, he really became quite a freak. Not that this excuses his behavior, but he certainly didn't have anything close to a normal childhood. Just think of the many child celebrities that have gone off the deep end. He wasn't the first and won't be the last. I learned to look past his strange antics and just enjoy his music.

I'm sad for Michael's family. Not only have they lost him, but now they have to deal with the media circus. I'm sure it's always been hard to hear cruel things said about him, and the media is definitely nothing new to them, but right now it must be very difficult to deal with. I feel bad for his kids. They haven't had a normal childhood thus far and I can't imagine it's gonna get any better. I also feel bad that they never got to see what their dad did best - perform on stage.

Thanks Michael for your great music. I think it'll go listen to Thriller now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lissa Smith Look-alike Meter

Joshua Smith Look-alike Meter