I was reading a blog with posts written by several different mothers of multiples. One mom was talking about the necessity of bonding with other twin moms when she wrote:
"We’ve survived breastfeeding (or not), first foods, sleeping through the night, shared viruses (ugh), and all the rest of it… times two. It’s nice to have people who have that shared understanding. We know the craziness, we know the fun. We are, perhaps as much by necessity as by personality, a fairly laid-back and practical bunch (just don’t get us started on people who keep their kids up too late or don’t have a nap schedule). We get each other. And that’s a mighty nice thing to have in your life."
I had a good laugh when I read the part about kids staying up late or not having a nap schedule.* I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the store after putting the kids to bed and been amazed, and almost aghast, at how many little kids and babies are out that late. Crazy people! And yes, don't get me started on nap schedules. As you know, my kids stick to their schedule :)
*Although I feel there are many things that moms of multiples experience in a very different way from moms of singletons (and yes, it really irks me when moms of more than one singleton try to say they understand what I'm going through), I have to say that the sleep/nap schedule thing certainly isn't exclusive to moms of multiples. I know many moms of singletons who also keep their kids on careful nap/sleep schedules. Our reasons may be different (maybe with a few similarities) but those of us who keep our kids on schedules can testify that it just makes everyone happier.
Yep, we're the ones with the kids out late - although that actually is our schedule. Our schedule has actually gradually and gradually shifted later and later. Yes, we eat dinner at the earliest at 7:30 but that's so we can actually see Chris during the week. If we had a normal schedule my kids would never see their dad (he leaves at 5:30 a.m. and gets home at the earliest 7:30 p.m.). So, there could be some varying schedules from the 'norm' - but anyway, I just wanted to stick up for those who have schedules outside of the norm. But, I am one for sticking to a schedule - it makes life so much easier . . and I'm sure with two the same age!
ReplyDelete