Since I'm on a roll talking about the "twin thing"...
I had an interesting experience at Walmart last week. I was buying a couple of presents for two birthday parties we were attending over the weekend. The kids were ready to go home, I was pretty tired, and I didn't feel like talking to anyone. I just wanted to do my shopping and head home. So when it was time to check-out, I went to the self-service lane. Well, the guy running the self-service lanes apparently really wanted to talk. He spit out just about every twin cliche there is within sixty seconds (mind you, he was at least 15 feet away so he was practically yelling all of this): "Twins, wow, you've got your hands full. Double trouble. You can't buy one ball, they're going to fight over it; you need two. A boy and a girl, the best of both worlds, now you don't need any more. Are they identical?" The list could go on, but it's a bit nauseating, so I won't continue.
Moral of the story: If you see a mother with twins - please, please, please treat them like normal people and don't say all of those cheesy things or ask all of those random - and quite personal - questions (seriously, would you walk up to a mother with one child and ask if the child was natural?? Can there even be an unnatural child?)
Most days I just ignore it, but I can't deny it's getting really old and a lot harder to ignore... Sadly it's making me less "social" in public places. I usually just put my head down, push the stroller quickly, and never make eye contact with anyone so I don't have to deal with it. Pathetic, huh?
Amen, Amen, and Amen to that!!!
ReplyDeleteAmen, Amen, and Amen to that!!
ReplyDelete