Monday, August 11, 2008

Opus 28 - We Made It!

Jason & I accomplished a great feat yesterday - we made it through all three hours of church with the twins! For those of you who may be wondering how this is a great accomplishment, my first question for you is... Have you ever tried to go through three hours of church with two five month old babies?... during their nap time?? Most of the time we both end up in the hallway with crying babies, so we leave after Sacrament Meeting and put the babies to bed. But this time was so much better than usual.

Typically, Joshua begins screaming about 1/3 of the way through Sacrament and Jason spends the rest of the time in halls with a screaming boy while I stay with Lissa (who is sleeping peacefully). I've learned that Joshua will go to sleep quite well, as long as he doesn't hit his exhaustion limit - he has to be put to bed before that or it's not pretty. Armed with this knowledge, I was determined to get him to sleep before he hit his limit so he wouldn't scream. The second he started to act the tiniest fussy, I took him to the back of the chapel and held him. He stayed calm for about five minutes, then he made one fussy noise and I immediately took him to the hallway. I was able to get him to sleep in five minutes. I was then able to go back into the chapel and enjoy the rest of the meeting while the babies slept.

We were then able to go to the rest of our meetings fairly successfully (okay, one of us was in the hall most of the time, but at least one of us was in class!).

We feel we put a few more tools in our "Keeping the Babies Happy During Church" toolbox and hope to have many more successful Sundays. But, when the inevitable unsuccessful ones do come, we know we can learn from those days, put more in our toolbox, and move on.

1 comment:

  1. Well, at least you guys take the babes out when they're fussy or crying. I'm sure it's annoying to have to do that, but nothings worse then when a parent stays in the chapel with a screaming baby during both youth speakers. You get kudos in my book! :)

    ReplyDelete

Lissa Smith Look-alike Meter

Joshua Smith Look-alike Meter