You know how they say pregnancy can wreak havoc on your body? I have found that to be completely accurate. Over the past couple of months there have been about six different times where I have been awakened in the middle of the night by intense pain in my upper abdomen, upper back, and right shoulder. Not knowing what it was, I just "rode" it out the first few times. It usually only lasts 2-3 hours and then it goes away. About two weeks ago it was so painful that I gave in to Jason's request and went to the emergency room (after finding someone to come be with the babies of course). After sitting in the waiting room for two hours, the pain finally went away so we went home without seeing a doctor.
I decided it was time to see my doctor about this so I finally made an appointment. She scheduled me for an ultrasound the next week. After checking me out the ultrasound tech told me my gallbladder is "diseased" and needs to be removed right away. I don't know about you, but to me, right away means fast, soon, quickly, immediately. Apparently, this is not the case. The tech told me that I would hear from the doctor by Friday (two days ago) and if I didn't to call the doctor's office. I called Friday afternoon and was told that the radiologist hadn't finished reading the information. (Isn't the radiologist and ultrasound tech the same person?? I just don't know.) This means I'll have to wait until Monday, at least.
Of course, Saturday at around three or four in the morning, I wake up with that horrible pain again. It was REALLY bad this time. You know how the nurses ask you to rate your pain on a scale of 1-10? This was a 10, no joke. I don't even want to wait to find someone to watch the babies, so I just drive myself to the emergency room. Jason later asked me how my drive went, my reply was, "I made it." I really don't remember much of it :)
Fortunately, they were able to get me back within 15-20. Jason had called his parents and they very kindly came over to be with the babies and feed them breakfast so Jason could come be with me. The doctor came in and talked to me, chewed me out for eating some ice cream the night before (no one told me dairy was a big no-no for someone in my condition! A little information would have been helpful!), and had the nurse give me some great pain meds through an IV. Although the pain meds started worked immediately, my stomach, unfortunately, did not take to them very well. They gave me medicine for that twice, but I still had a horribly upset stomach. I slept for 2 1/2 hours after getting home. I woke up long enough to help feed the babies, then took some more medicine and slept for another 2 1/2 hours.
Thank goodness the pain is now gone and the E.R. doctor gave me some good advice on what foods to avoid (NO DAIRY!), so I should survive the rest of the weekend. The doctor told me to call my family doctor right away on Monday and tell them that I need to have this surgery ASAP. I hope to be able to have it this week so I can get it over with (and so I can recover before the first BYU game and our upcoming vacation to Seattle). It'll be a challenge to find enough people to help with the babies while I recover, since I won't be able to pick them up for 4-5 days, but we have great family and friends around so it would work out.
I look forward to no more middle of the night pains!
Oh yeah! Love that gall bladder - I had the same thing happen to me after Emma. Supposedly it's a biggie after pregnancies. I was a little weary of the surgery (not as in-and-out then as it is now) so I opted for 'watch the diet' method. They warned me I'd have problems after each pregnancy but I proved them wrong. I just didn't eat quickly, little amounts of meat, and not a ton of diary :) I actually think I reversed the problem because now I'm not so careful. But, it's so nice now to have the 'speed surgery' and not have to go through the pain anymore. I hope all goes well. (Sorry that was so long!)
ReplyDeleteEmily:
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry! I hope your surgery goes well. I'll be thinking about you and praying for you.
Good luck with your surgery Emily. I'm glad they've figured it out and can help you. You need your sleep!
ReplyDelete