I know I've done a lot of posting today, but I need your help :) We're going on a vacation to Seattle in two weeks. I'm so excited! I've never been to the Pacific Northwest and I hear it's just beautiful. Here's my dilemma: Our flight leaves at 7:30 p.m.; Jason gets home from work at 4:00 p.m. I know we need to get to the airport early, especially since we're traveling with two infants and we need to leave our car in long term parking. It usually only takes about 45 minutes to get to the airport, but I'm worried that we'll hit bad traffic, especially if we leave at 5:00 or later. Therefore, I'd like to leave as soon as Jason gets home.
This doesn't sound like much of a problem, right? Well here it is... The babies are on a strict feeding schedule (this is the only way to survive twins!) - they have bottles at 4:00 p.m., cereal at 6:00 p.m., and bottles at 8:00 p.m. I can't decide how to alter the schedule to make it work with our flight plans. If I feed them at 3:00 and have everything else ready to go, then we can be out of the door as soon as Jason gets home. But that means they'll be ready for cereal as soon as we get to the airport (or while we're driving there). I can just imagine us feeding the babies cereal while waiting in the security line! LOL! And that means they'll be ready for bottles at the exact time we'll be getting ready to load the plane. It would be great to have them drink their last bottles at 8:00 p.m. so they'll be eating most of the flight (and they tend to fall asleep while eating the last bottles if we hold them for awhile). Oh, and I hear drinking a bottle helps babies' ears when in a plane. We might be able to feed them at 3:00, give them a little snack (meaning a small amount of formula) while waiting in the security line, feed them cereal as soon as we get to the gate, then give them their full formula feeding at 8:00 p.m.
What do you think? I'd love any ideas and/or suggestions! Any other words of advice about traveling with infants would be great too!
Here's my suggestion, and it may not be of much help. Knowing how flights are, you could get delayed, board late or early, etc. I would just play it all by ear, keeping as close to their regular schedule as possible and be prepared for everything. Good luck!!!
ReplyDeleteAh, this brings back so many memories of trying to time feedings etc on airplanes. It really does help their little ears if you feed them during take off and landing. But, beware of waiting on the runway forever and being done feeding before the plane actually takes off. I found that if I could feed them on take off, they'd doze off to sleep and hopefully sleep most of the flight. Seattle isn't too long of a flight, so that is good. Seattle is beautiful!! You will love it up there! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI'd still feed them their bottles at 4:00 and then leave right after. Just have the car all packed up and ready to go- minus the babies of course. That should buy you enough time to get to your gate before they need to eat cereal. Also- have all the liquids/gels in your diaper bag already in a quart sized ziploc bag. Then you can just hand it over while getting the babies out of their car seats/strollers and everything onto the x-ray machine. I also always pack two changes of clothes for babies and an extra shirt for me in my carry-on. I can't tell you how many times I have needed it! If you want any more tips, give me a call. We have traveled A LOT with our kids.
ReplyDeleteYou could also try feeding them a few minutes earlier, like 3:45. Really, they aren't going to realize the difference. Plus, with it being closer to feeding time and not too much earlier, they probably won't take their time which will still help you out while you are trying to leave on time.
ReplyDeleteSomething else...I know that both of my kids seemed pretty resiliant when it came to traveling and feeding. If you can stick close to the schedule, it helps but if you get off track a bit, they will do OK. With so much going on, they might get a little preoccupied with all the new surroundings. Also, the airlines will always let people with small children or those needing a little extra time board first. This will probably help you out with the next feeding time. You will probably already be on the plane when you need to feed them next. And, yes, pacifiers and bottles do help when taking off.
OH! Heed the advice of the person before me...pack extra clothes for the babies as well as an extra shirt for you and Jason. Trust me, it never fails that those little bits will spit up at just the right time and you know what formula smells like when it first comes out!
The best advice is to relax and enjoy yourselves. :)