A month ago I went to a local junior high to work with some French horns. A friend of mine, who is an amazing musician and band director, just started teaching there this year and asked me to help out. Of course I was happy to do it. I love working with young students and I'd do anything for Connie - she did so much to help me when I was teaching.
I wasn't expecting anything in return. This is what we band directors do for each other; we help each other out whenever and however we can. But, I got a very pleasant surprise in the mail the other day. It was a very sweet card and the new Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD, "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing."
I was so surprised and very happy at the same time. I have wanted to purchase this CD, but it's not something I feel I should spend money on right now, so I haven't. How wonderful to receive it as a gift!* I love Mack Wilberg's arrangements of folk hymns, he has amazing talent. Come, Thou Fount is one of my favorite of his arrangements.
I realize that some people feel Come, Thou Fount is over sung - it has become quite a standard for the MoTab. However, my love for Come, Thou Fount started long before the MoTab was singing it. It began approximately 13 years ago (really, 13 years ago?? I must be getting old) when I first started working as a secretary for the BYU Music Office. We had a copy of "A Thanksgiving of American Folk Hymns," which had been recorded fairly recently.
It's a wonderful CD, if you don't have it, I highly recommend it (tantararecords.com). For those of you who aren't familiar with Mack Wilberg and his work history, before he was hired by the MoTab in the late 90's, he directed the Concert Choir and Men's Chorus at BYU. Many of the arrangements you hear the MoTab sing today were originally performed by his BYU Choirs. "A Thanksgiving of American Folk Hymns" includes many of his arrangements.
The last song on the CD is Come, Thou Fount. We used to turn it up REALLY loud when it would get to that track - so loud that I'm sure it carried throughout the gallary of the HFAC (music building at BYU). What glorious music!!! I always get a chill when the horns hit the high note during the climax. As I try to write how this particular arrangment makes me feel I am at a loss of words. There just aren't words to describe how music makes you feel. That which cannot be expressed in words is best expressed in music. I admit that there are many songs that give me this glorious feeling - Come, Thou Fount is one of my favorites (my students will tell you that I have MANY favorites, but this is one of my favorite of my favorites**).
Now that I have expressed my love of Come, Thou Fount, I should mention that there are many great songs on the new MoTab CD. Come, Thou Fount just happens to be my favorite :)
Thank you, thank you, thank you Connie for this beautiful gift! I love the CD and will always enjoy listening to it!
*I should note that Connie is a member of the MoTab; what a terrific accomplishment!
**A few of the other songs that give me this incredible feeling - Jupiter from Holst's The Planets Suite; Sibilius's Finlandia; A Movement For Rosa by Mark Camphouse; Frank Ticheli's arrangement of Amazing Grace; Elegy for a Young American by Ronald Lo Presti; As Summer Was Just Beginning by Larry Daehn; Samuel Barber's Adigio for Strings.


You gave me a copy of the Thanksgiving CD and I really enjoy it. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteJenny Erickson