Sunday, April 26, 2009

Opus 154 - Going Cold

When Lissa and Joshua were in the NICU the nurses always warmed up their bottles. I assume this is because many/most babies in the NICU are so small that retaining body heat is an issue. When the kids came home they would not drink a bottle unless it was warm. Since they were so small getting them to eat enough was a huge issue, so we warmed their bottles for them. Eventually, I was able to get them to drink formula made straight from the tap. It really felt good to put the bottle warmers away.

Then they switched to milk. Although they were fine with room temperature bottles, they would not drink the milk cold (no matter how much we tried). So we dusted off the bottle warmers and started warming their milk. Every few days I made the milk just a little colder so I could ease them into cold milk. We had a few set backs... RSV, colds, etc., but we are FINALLY done with the bottle warmers again. As of today, we have gone four days with cold milk.

And there was much rejoicing in the Smith Household.

Now we're gonna have to get them drinking from sippies*...



*They can drink from them, but they get the water ALL over themselves. I'm just not quite ready to have that much milk end up on them so I guess patience is the name of the game :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lissa Smith Look-alike Meter

Joshua Smith Look-alike Meter