Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Opus 362 - Day 5

Favorite Quote

"It's supposed to be hard. If it were easy, everyone would do it. It's the hard that makes it great." --Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

I say these ones to my students often. I especially like the Tom Hanks one. That's what life is like - hard. But we always feel better about ourselves when we've accomplished a difficult task. I like to compare it to making a cake: When you make a cake from a box and everyone compliments the cake, you don't really feel like you deserve the compliment. You feel more like saying, "I'll be sure to tell Betty Crocker." However, when you make a cake from scratch and people compliment the cake you really feel good about what you've done. "It's the hard that makes it great."

2 comments:

  1. oooh - I love all of those. And my girlfriend made a cake yesterday to celebrate our kindergartners starting school and she did it from scratch. There was a HUGE difference between that and a cake mix - so I'm definitely going to remember that analogy. You are so right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite quote from A League of Their Own is when Tom Hanks yells "Are you crying? Are you crying? ARE YOU CRYING? There's no crying! THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!"

    ReplyDelete

Lissa Smith Look-alike Meter

Joshua Smith Look-alike Meter